Re: optical devices now in disk group instead of cdrom

On Mon, Nov 7, 2011 at 7:45 AM, William Hubbs <w.d.hubbs@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> someone on gentoo just reported to me that the following rule has been
> deleted from udev-174, which is leaving his optical devices in the
> standard "disk" group. He does not want to add his users to this group.
>
> SUBSYSTEM=="block", KERNEL=="sr[0-9]*", SYMLINK+="scd%n", GROUP="cdrom"
>
> Did you intend to move optical devices to the disk group?

I'm having similar questions from Arch users, so would also be
interested in an explanation. Especially, why /dev/srX is not assigned
the same group as the corresponding /dev/sgX.

On a (possibly) related note: The 'sg' module is no longer loaded
explicitly (as of 'rules: do not load sg module'). Why is this no
longer needed, and how is it supposed to work? I have heard of
problems with missing /dev/sgX devices, but have not yet figured out
exactly what the problem was (too many weird things going on).

Cheers,

Tom