udev and ID_FS_UUID

Hello,
I am having some issues related to getting the udev env var ID_FS_UUID
of a plugged usb stick using udev version 173 (same happens on udev
166, but not on 163) and kernel 2.6.36

So here it goes: plug a usb stick and issue:

"udevadm --debug info --query=all --name=sdb1" (in my case sdb is the
newly inserted usb stick)

this only prints the following:

custom logging function 0x54ad2008 registered
main: runtime dir '/run/udev'
run_command: calling: info
udev_device_new_from_syspath: device 0x54ad2090 has devpath [MY_DEVPATH]
P: [MY_DEVPATH]
udev_device_read_db: no db file to read /run/udev/data/+block:sdb1: No
such file or directory
N: sdb1
E: UDEV_LOG=7
E: DEVPATH=[MY_DEVPATH]
E: MAJOR=8
E: MINOR=17
E: DEVNAME=/dev/sdb1
E: DEVTYPE=partition
E: PARTN=1
E: SUBSYSTEM=block

As you can see, udevamd --debug complains that the file
/run/udev/data/+block:sdb1 does not exist. Version 163 uses devpath
instead of the runpath used by version 173. Does the introduction of
the runpath need something specific in the kernel which may not be
present/stable in kernel 2.6.36 ?

One more thing to mention. If I create a symlink such as:

ln -sf /run/udev/data/b8:17 /run/udev/data/+block:sdb1   (where 8:17
is the major:minor pair of the block device - usb stick inserted)

then, I can get the ID_FS_UUID using udevadm. Any idea why
udev_device_get_id_filename() returns +block:sdb1 instead of b8:17 ?

Doing a little debugging in the udev code, it seems that the major and
minor numbers are correct in the udev_device_read_uevent_file()
function, however upon return in udev_device_get_devnum() major and
minor numbers are 0 so in turn in udev_device_get_id_filename() it
goes through the else branch hence the +block:sdb1 filename that does
not exist and that brings up the error listed above.
Any ideas?

Thanks you in advance.