setting udev rules by program

I have seen examples of udev rules using UDISKS_PRESENTATION_HIDE to prevent
the auto-mounting of USB disks as they are attached.

Rather than setting up a permanent rule, I would like to have a *program* do
this on startup and remove the rule when it exits. How can I do this ?

Do I need to manipulate the udev database and if so are there guidelines to
do this ? I have seen references to sending messages on the dbus to
org.freedesktop.UDisks but have found no documentation or examples.

Can anyone give me some guidance on this ?  I realize I could manipulate a
/etc/udev/rules.d file and force the reload udev rules with "udevadm
control" but that is really ugly...  there must be a cleaner more direct
way!

thanks,
   Michael