Some basic questions

Greetings,

I apologize if these questions seem trivial or are document somewhere
that I haven't searched as yet.

I'm essentially trying to build a new distro type.  I currently have
kernel 2.6.39.2 booting from a USB stick.  The kernel comes up using the
Intel framebuffer kms in its proper resolution and I have some basic
graphics routines that allow me to output as desired to the screen, and
NOTHING ELSE.

My next step is to get udev going.  To that end, I've downloaded and
studied to some extent release 172.  I'm using FC12 as my build machine
(e.g. gcc 4.4.2).  This is what I think is supposed to happen, please
correct me if I'm wrong on any of this.

When I build udev, I do this:

configure --enable-static

This is to get the udev binaries to build without needing libraries.
Then:

make

I get this:

  CC     extras/input_id/input_id.o
extras/input_id/input_id.c: In function ‘test_key’:
extras/input_id/input_id.c:173: error: ‘BTN_TRIGGER_HAPPY’ undeclared
(first use in this function)
extras/input_id/input_id.c:173: error: (Each undeclared identifier is
reported only once
extras/input_id/input_id.c:173: error: for each function it appears in.)
make[2]: *** [extras/input_id/input_id.o] Error 1
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make: *** [all] Error 2

I did a search and came up with some results about kernel and udev
version mismatches but being the newbie to udev I am, I'm not sure I
understand what to do.  So thats the first question?

Once I get the binaries built, I'll need to install them and the config
files in the proper places in my USB filesystem correct?  I get this
output from the configure script:

	udev 172
	========

	prefix:			/usr
	sysconfdir:		${prefix}/etc
	sbindir:		${exec_prefix}/sbin
	libdir:			${exec_prefix}/lib
	rootlibdir:		${exec_prefix}/lib
	libexecdir:		${exec_prefix}/libexec

	datarootdir:		${prefix}/share
	mandir:			${datarootdir}/man
	includedir:		${prefix}/include

	include_prefix:		/usr/include

	systemdsystemunitdir:

	logging:		yes
	debug:			no
	selinux:		no

	compiler:		gcc
	cflags:			-g -O2
	ldflags:

	rule_generator:		yes
	hwdb:			yes
	udev_acl:		yes
	gudev:			yes
	gintrospection:		yes
	keymap:			yes
	floppy:			no
	edd:			no

	usb.ids:		/usr/share/hwdata/usb.ids
	pci.ids:		/usr/share/hwdata/pci.ids
	firmware path:		\"/lib/firmware/updates/\", \"/lib/firmware/\"

	xsltproc:		/usr/bin/xsltproc
	gperf:			/usr/bin/gperf

I'm assuming I'll need to install the binaries in /usr/sbin?  And the
config files in /usr/share/hwdata?

I then need to start udevd on bootup correct?

OK, maybe I should see what the answers to these questions are before I
ask more silly things  ;)

Thanks in advance for any assistance on this.  I'd really like to keep
this as simple as possible.  For example, its not clear to me what
"extras" are and how to turn them off if they are not needed.

Thanks,
FM