Re: udevadm: trigger --type=failed deprecation

On Wed, Aug 3, 2011 at 00:01, Matthew Burgess
<matthew@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> So, Udev-173 added a log message warning us that 'udevadm trigger
> --type=failed' is deprecated, which over in LFS we use in a 'udev_retry'
> bootscript in an attempt to retry failed events, for example those caused by
> slow device initialization.

What is a 'slow' device? RUN+= needs to be explicitly marked to 'fail'
events. What kind of rules do you exactly have there that tells RUN+=
to mark it as failed if needed?

> The ChangeLog fails to mention a preferred alternative mechanism for
> performing such event retries, or are such things not needed due to changes
> in the kernel?
>
> Any advice you can give would be appreciated.

Depends on what you need:
Real services subscribe to events and do device enumeration at
startup. They never really need hacks like 'failed' events.

Half-proper services trigger 'change' events when they are started up
to find all devices which are already there. This is a hack and not
recommended to use, but still better than hooking RUN+= stuff in, and
relying on --type=failed.

There is no real point in time, where an init script should try once
again, just to see if has more luck than the on first run. Stuff that
needs things like that usually needs to be fixed to better integrate
with early boot, and it should no rely on udev to help papering over
such issues, and just blindly run all these events again.

If services still want that, they can implement this logic on their
own, the udev runtime directory is always writable.

Kay