Re: udev: timeout on WAIT_FOR_SYSFS

Hi Kay, thanks for your answers!

On Tue, Aug 2, 2011 at 15:30, Kay Sievers <kay.sievers@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 2, 2011 at 16:57, Filipe Brandenburger <filbranden@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> I tried adding a call to "udevsettle" just before initializing VxVM
>> but it doesn't help, whenever I have the problem that triggers that
>> log message the devices do not show up even after udevsettle. I also
>> tried "udevtrigger" but that didn't help either.
>
> Missing devices are likely not related to udev but your
> driver/hardware/setup. I guess in the case you miss the stuff, you
> also don't have the device in /sys/block, right?

Indeed, that's the problem, the problem device is not present in
/sys/block or in /dev.

>> I saw this patch that looked interesting, it's from almost 4 years ago
>> but it resembles the codebase of RHEL5 that I'm running:
>> http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/hotplug/udev.git;a=commit;h=39ea7c6c67de69379b603196a0eff6f7ce2e469a
>>
>> I'm pretty much considering applying that patch to udevd since it will
>> probably fix it, but as I can't reproduce the problem reliably I
>> wanted to ask some questions just to have more confidence in going on
>> with that fix.
>
> As said, that only makes the error logging go away, and maybe some
> udev-event users that expect proper sysfs timing.

Hmmm... So you're saying there's no correlation from the fact that I
get the "wait_for_sysfs: waiting for ... failed" message and the fact
that when I need the devices (on volume manager startup) they are
still not present? Even if I have a call to "udevsettle" just before
the volume manager initialization? Won't the failure of wait_for_sysfs
affect the result of a "udevsettle" call?

>> For instance, the log message is somewhat vague saying some SCSI disks
>> take 6.5s to populate sysfs, does someone have some details of which
>> kinds of disks cause that?
>
> I don't really remember the details, but it was probably the disk
> spin-up time, that blocked the creation of the sysfs files for
> seconds. The code that does that got all changed in later kernels to
> be timed properly.

Ok, so is it possible that this is the issue I have here? I only have
it in one machine so it may be because of faulty/suboptimal SAN behind
it?

Thanks for your answers, I'm trying to get to the bottom of it and
hopefully your help will lead me into the right direction!

Fil