the file system for /dev

All,

The setup section of the udev README mentions that /dev should get the
devtmpfs file system, but it also says that udev can be run on a blank
tmpfs as long as you create /dev/{null,kmsg,console}. Also, the
requirements section never mentions CONFIG_DEVTMPFS.

So, I guess I'm attempting to figure out what is preferred. Is devtmpfs
preferred for distros? What are reasons that someone might not want to
use devtmpfs with udev?

William