Re: Building using older kernel headers

On Wed, Jul 27, 2011 at 17:25, Diego Iastrubni <diegoiast@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I am trying to build udev 172 using a toolchain which uses a 2.6.32
> (or older). The previous version I tested (v114) compiled fine, and
> the newer version (V172) does not compile since it needs
> BTN_TRIGGER_HAPPY available at linux/input.h
>
> My options are:
>
> 1) Use a new toolchain
> 2) Use an older version (which one..?)
> 3) Patch udev for cases in which the symbol in sot found
> 3.a) define the symbol locally
> 3.b) #ifdef that offending code out
>
> I currently chose to to 3.a, which seems to work for now, even though
> I am running under kernel 2.6.32 (which does not support the joystick
> event which triggered this issue). I think 3.b can be a good idea, and
> I know that even using a newer toolchain works for me, but I would
> like to keep the toolchain.
>
> Which is the newest udev version you can recommend me?

I can't tell, in general I can not recommend running bleeding edge
udev, or any other early boot tool, on old kernels, it might all work
fine, but it's usually just not tested, I personally never run such
setups. We only properly support the other direction: recent kernels
on older userspace.

> Will you accept such patch, for 3.a, or 3.b?

You can probably disable entire features like the keymap if you don't
need it. In general the latest udev version does not really support
old kernel headers, or features/interfaces not available in older
kernels. And no, we don't want to copy kernel definitions in the udev
code, it's better, to just point the build to a recent kernel tree.

Also be aware, that the shipped rules might require an even newer
kernel as the one needed to build, so running a new udev here might
cause problems for non-core features. We only really test things that
are not older than usually 6-9 months. If you need to support such old
kernels, the well-maintained udev version from that time, used in the
enterprise releases of Red Hat or SUSE, might be the safest bet.

Kay