Re: udevadm settle persistently failing

On Sun, May 15, 2011 at 8:19 PM, Nix <nix@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I know that you're not supposed to rely on 'udevadm settle' anymore, but
> I rely on it across the board for systems with root filesystems that
> aren't expected to move around (i.e. all of them), because massively
> reengineering working systems' boot processes is generally considered a
> bad thing. And it's stopped working. Given how many things expect /dev
> to be populated, this has fairly serious effects.
>
> I can be certain that as of somewhere between udev 164 and 167, 'udevadm
> settle' has stopped waiting for block devices to appear (though I
> suspect others have vanished too). I'm booting udev as recommended in
> the release notes, via
>
> Âudevd --daemon
> Âudevadm trigger --action=add --type=subsystems
> Âudevadm trigger --action=add --type=devices
> Âudevadm settle

We are doing the same on Arch and today I started seeing bug reports
(after the upgrade to udev 168). So here are my two cents:

Most of the time the problem seems to be related to LVM, but I have
also seen regular block devices having problems. As would be expected
using devtmpfs greatly reduces (if not eliminates) the problem. My
guess was (like Nix said) that "udevadm settle" is somehow broken.

Some related bug reports:

Arch: <https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/24288>,
Debian: <http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=624010>.

Cheers,