Re: PCI/USB Vendor and model from database

El día 29 de diciembre de 2010 17:16, Greg KH <greg@xxxxxxxxx> escribió:
> On Wed, Dec 29, 2010 at 05:08:56PM +0100, José Félix Ontañón wrote:
>> El día 29 de diciembre de 2010 01:18, Scott James Remnant
>> <scott@xxxxxxxxxxxx> escribió:

>> > One thing that might be interesting is if we could do the lookup at
>> > the point of query, then store the answer back in the db for others to
>> > use later.
>> >
>> > That way we're efficient if nobody cares, and lose that efficiency
>> > when they do (but only for the devices they query), and subsequently
>> > efficient because the answer is cached.
>> >
>> > This veers a bit dangerously towards having apps that link with
>> > libudev process rules though?
>> >
>> > Scott
>> >

>> First thing coming to my mind: there's not enough pci/usb devices
>> present on the system for increasing the computational cost
>> significantly.
>
> How can you say that?  I see systems with thousands of PCI devices on it
> as being very common in some areas.

You're right, I was to fast thinking about personal_computers-like
only. That's because I said it maybe was a silly question, sorry.

>> I think it's quite comfortable, for me as desktop app coder, to
>> delegate on udev the vendor/model name querying, more if we think udev
>> provides the cool pci-db and usb-db commands.
>
> Again, what's wrong with using libpci directly for this?  That's what it
> is there for.

Greg, i'm coding python, do you know about a python bindings for
libpci? It would be really nice if you could tell me because I didn't
found.

Thanks for your answers.

--
http://fontanon.org