Re: PCI/USB Vendor and model from database

On Tue, Dec 28, 2010 at 02:14:38PM +0100, José Félix Ontañón wrote:
> Hi, everybody!
>
> Maybe this is kinda silly question but, I wonder why isn't
> "ID_VENDOR_FROM_DATABASE / ID_MODEL_FROM_DATABASE"-like properties
> imported by default using the pretty /lib/udev/usb-db and
> /lib/udev/pci-db commands for every founded pci/usb device?
>
> I mean, by adding this simple rules:
>
> SUBSYSTEMS=="usb", IMPORT{program}="usb-db %p"
> SUBSYSTEMS=="pci", IMPORT{program}="pci-db %p"
>
> I think this properties are very useful for apps that discover
> hardware through udev, so they will not have to reinvent the wheel by
> finding vendor/product names by themselves. Don't you think?

That would slow down every device being found, for no real user at this
time, right?

How hard is it to use libpci for the userspace program to find this
information, if it really needs it?  That way, you also don't have to
have the database at early boot time, which keeps things simpler.

thanks,

greg k-h