Re: Udev rule $attr substitution

Am 22.12.2010 09:51, schrieb Martin Pitt:
But I might add that there is certainly some documentation lacking
on this one, practially everything I found was outdated or
inaccurate ...

This is indeed a common trap, so some time ago I tried to point this
out more clearly in the manpage:

       $attr{file}, %s{file}
            The value of a sysfs attribute found at the device, where all keys
            of the rule have matched. If the matching device does not have such
            an attribute, and a previous KERNELS, SUBSYSTEMS, DRIVERS, or ATTRS
            test selected a parent device, use the attribute from that parent
            device.

This tries to point out that this won't match attributes from any
parent device. Do you think this paragraph is unclear? If so, do you
have a suggestion how to improve it? Or did you not see it in the
first place?

The entry in the current man page is fine.

I was broadly referring to the documentation floating around in the Web, examples, howtos and forum discussions. Nothing of your responsibility, really.

What's a bit unfortunate though is the discrepancy between man pages and functionality of versions before the man page correction. OpenSUSE 11.3 ships with v. 157 which claims to do the upward chain search for $attr but doesn't.

Maybe an "official" udev page consisting of the current man page and two or three additional notes regarding changes in previously available features would help. Or does it exist and I missed it?

Just my 2c,

Josua Dietze