Re: load firmware for in-kernel driver

On 10/27/2010 12:48:35 PM, Hr. Philip Rueegsegger wrote:
> >On 10/27/2010 11:23:57 AM, Hr. Philip Rueegsegger wrote:
> >>  You
> >> know, I'd
> >> like to stick with the kernel source provided by Debian just
> because
> >> of security
> >> updates.
> >
> >Use the newer kernel from backports.debian.org.
>
> What about security updates? Are they delivered equally regularely as
> from the
> stable tree? After a quick look on http://backports.debian.org I
> couldn't see an
> answer to my question. Thanks.

Good question.  I'd like to be sure of the answer myself.

Traditionally not, but backports is recently officially part of
Debian so things may have changed.  The kernel also tends
to be more rigorously maintained and may be a
special case.  The backports.debian.org FAQ says
security is best-effort but depends on the maintainer.
You might try asking security@xxxxxxxxxx or possibly
debian-kernel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx The latter seems
to be listed as one of the package maintainers
so might be the right choice.

(The security team
faq says nothing about backports and now that it's
official maybe it should.  The question in the
backports faq is weirdly grey-ed out and italicized;
that confuses me slightly.)

Karl <kop@xxxxxxxx>
                 -- Robert A. Heinlein