Re: load firmware for in-kernel driver

On Wed, Oct 27, 2010 at 16:01, Hr. Philip Rueegsegger <rue@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>> I want to use a monolithic kernel (loadable module support disabled) for
>>> security reasons. The in-kernel-driver for the network card (bnx2) needs
>>> firmware to be loaded. Of course, when the kernel boots there is no
> filesystem
>>> available from where the firmware can be loaded nor a firmware loader agent.
>>

>>You can also compile firmware in kernel in which case request from
>>driver will be transparently served by compiled-in firmware.
>
>>Not sure when compiled-in firmware support was introduced first. Check
>>for CONFIG_FIRMWARE_IN_KERNEL.
>
> Unfortunately, for the kernel I'm using (2.6.26 from Debian Lenny), this is not
> the case.
>
> Is there no other possibility to accomplish this? For example, kind of postpone

Yeah, you should use a recent kernel. :)

You can try to unbind/bind the driver from/to the device with
/sys/bus/pci/drivers/*/*bind. For some drivers it works that way.

Anyway, it's probably easier to leave it as a module. There are
thousand ways to get code into the running kernel with the right
permissions, disabling the module loader does not really add security.

Kay