Re: Restricting USB access

Hi Greg,

Mostly, we're concerned with portable USB drives.  (We still want USB mice
and keyboards to function properly)  With openSUSE11.0 we were able to
restrict all USB access (in the org.freedesktop.hal.storage.mount-removable
file) and then add a list of privileged usernames into the policykit.conf
file to override permissions for those people. This allowed our special
users to use USB sticks while everyone else was unable to.

I'm trying to figure out if PolicyKit is still working for openSUSE11.2
(all the files seems to be there so I assumed that meant it was
available .... but the system doesn't seem to care what I put into those
files)

Could you give me some simple instructions on how to write a udev rule to
do this (I've never worked with udev before) .... or direct me to a good
tutorial website perhaps. I will do some more web hunting on that.
 (I guess I will have to take care of the CD burner also. I want that to be
readable by everyone but not writable. Would udev rules work for this
also?)

Thanks very much for your assistance.

Take care,
Ryan