Re: [ANNOUNCE] udev 152 release

Kay Sievers <kay.sievers@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 3, 2010 at 08:55, Andreas Metzler
> <ametzler@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Kay Sievers <kay.sievers <at> vrfy.org> writes:
>> [...]
>>> Here comes a new udev version.
>> [...]
>>> udev 152
>> [...]
>>> The option "all_partitions" was removed from udev. This should not be
>>> needed for usual hardware. Udev can not safely make assumptions
>>> about non-existing partition major/minor numbers, and therefore no
>>> longer provide this unreliable and unsafe option.
>> [...]

>> is there a officially suggested replacement for "all_partitions"?
>> USB-cardreaders are not "unusual", but nevertheless usually do not report
>> media-changes (See
>> http://www.reactivated.net/writing_udev_rules.html#example-usbcardreader).

> No, not in udev. The main device node needs to be polled periodically.
> This is usually done by udisks, a simple 'touch' will also do.
> Currently it's being worked on to add polling to the kernel itself.

Isn't polling evil(TM)?

I would be (and was) perfectlywithe leightweight solution of of
automatically get /dev/sdX[1-8] and symlinks /dev/cardreader/sd[1-8]
instead of just /dev/sdX and the symlink /dev/cardreader/sd when udev
detects the presence of the cardreader device. Whether the number of
device nodes exactly matches the number of partitions on the inserted
sd-card is not really of importance for me.

cu andreas