Re: Environment woes

On Tue, Aug 10, 2010 at 10:02:10PM +0200, Josua Dietze wrote:
> Am 10.08.2010 21:30, schrieb Greg KH:
> >Let the modem-manager program handle knowing which tty device to use,
> >that type of logic can usually only be detected after talking to the
> >device.
>

> Unfortunately, I keep receiving reports that modem-manager picks the
> wrong port after probing, and there is no way of setting the port
> manually in NetworkManager. This happens mostly with devices where
> the interrupt port has a number > 0. I have yet to meet a GSM modem
> device where the "interrupt rule" does *not* apply.

Then point people at the modem-manager developers :)

> I usually recommend using wvdial (autoprobing problems too) and edit
> the port directly in the config file. And just entering "gsmmodem"
> spares users the testing of all ports, some of which may seem to
> work at first but then build up a very unreliable connection.

It sounds like this is information that the modem-manager developers
would like to know about, so that they can pick the correct ports.  Or
is it networkmanager that does that these days, I can't remember, sorry.

Either way, I don't see this a function of the modeswitch program at
all.

good luck,

greg k-h