Re: Weird race-like problem in udev

On Mon, Jun 21, 2010 at 18:47, Ozan Çağlayan <ozan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I have a bug report from a user which complains about udev not correctly hotplugging the devices. The symptoms are quite racy and random:
>
> * When he starts the OS and plugs a USB device, udev doesn't load the necessary kernel driver,

Please, this isn't a quiz here, so provide the needed basic
information that goes beyond "a device" and " the driver". :)

> * He then unplugs/plugs it several times:
>  * Sometimes it starts to work correctly, the module gets inserted
>  * Sometimes it still doesn't modprobe the module

Check 'udevadm monitor' for the difference of both cases.

> * He discovered that spawning a 2nd udevd by hand resolves the issue

That's not possible, udevd will refuse to start a second time, and not
do anything. It lets this report look suspicious that something is
wrong with the way the behavior is described.

Kay