Re: New rule for xD FTL driver

On Tue, 2010-06-15 at 11:28 +0100, David Woodhouse wrote:
> On Tue, 2010-06-15 at 13:07 +0300, Maxim Levitsky wrote:
> > Maybe not statically linked in it, but I am not against making mtd core
> > load all compiled FTL drivers as soon as an mtd device is registred.
> >
> > David Woodhouse, what do you think about that?
>
> I'm not massively keen on that. An FTL is like a file system. Would you
> insist on loading all compiled file systems when an mtd device is
> registered?
>
> Would you submit udev patches which auto-load btrfs when a block device
> is registered, such as the patch I see in the mail to which I'm
> replying?

This is very good point.
The correct solution therefore is to create a new probe tool to look at
new mtd device to see the 'filesystem magic', and them load the
corresponding FTL.
However, this still requires mtdchar or mtdblock be present.
I think its not a bad idea to make mtdchar to load automatically on mtd
device addition, and then bind the prober to creation of /dev/mtd0...
(Which sure will be an udev rule)

This is a bit out of my reach now because I am quite busy with exams, so
for now, it would be nice to have this udev rule (so users won't tell me
that my driver doesn't work), and later I sure fix that.

I will create a prober for all FTLs currently supported by mtd core.

BTW, speaking of the bus model, it won't help at all, because there is
no real bus involved. Probing of the MTD is required anyway.

Best regards,
Maxim Levitsky