Re: [RFC/PATCH] input_id: add touchpad quirks rules file.

On Thu, May 13, 2010 at 15:19, Martin Pitt <martin.pitt@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Peter Hutterer [2010-05-13 14:03 +1000]:
>> I kind-of expect some more tags like this to appear in the future, so I
>> figured the generic name touchpad-quirks is better than have a dell-specific
>> one. Would something like this be appreciated in the upstream repo?

> My preference is that we should keep subsystem specific rules in the
> subsystem daemon/libraries (like udisks/upower/X.org/libgphoto2)
> instead of centrally managing them in udev, for three reasons:
>
>  (1) The subsystem daemon maintainers are usually the experts, and know
>     better how that particular hardware should be configured.

That's true. If there are packages that rely on these rules, it;s
usually better to have the rules installed by this package. We have
pretty bad experience with HAL with centralizing things nobody really
knew in the end if they are still needed or what they are really meant
to do.

>  (2) I hear that udevd will eventually go away, and its probers will
>     be fanned out to the subsystem daemons, therefore leaving the
>     udev package as a relatively stable library only.

Oh, that's interesting news. :) What makes you think of that? What
would match on and deliver all the kernel events to subcribers?

Kay