Re: hotplug virtual disk to a Linux guest virtual machine with udev

On Thu, Apr 15, 2010 at 16:37, Shi Jin <jinzishuai@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> You can run:
>>  udevadm monitor
>> add a volume to the host and check if you get events for new block
>> devices. If you do, it's an issue with userspace in the system.

> Thank you Kay.
> This is useful tool but it again confirmed my conjecture of this being
> an kernel issue.
> On FC12 where it is working, I do the a add and remove messages.
> But on Ubuntu 9.10 and CentOS 5.4, I don't see any message.
>
> So it is a kernel problem. Anything I can do?

Yeah, looks like some kernel hotplug driver issue. Probably related to
the virtio driver or something related to that infrastructure. There
is not much on the generic part which plugs in udev which can be
configured in the kernel.

Kay