How is /dev/bus/usb created - /dev/bus/usb lost during system upgrade

Hi,

I lost /dev/bus/usb during remote system upgrade (Ubuntu 9.04 -> 9.10)
on Watcher telescope control computer (@Boyden observatory, South
Africa).

I do not see /dev/bus/usb, and lsusb does not show anything. It worked
before, USB devices are present in dmesg, so I think USB subsystem is
working properly.

To debug this it will help me to know how udev creates and
populates /dev/bus/usb - which rule(s) does this, how to debug what
might be wrong.

We hit some problems during system upgrade, and I am pretty sure this is
related to them. I just need to debug the machine, which is while I am
in Europe and machine is in South Africa a bit difficult (and dangerous
to change anything, as it might not boot and then I have a problem
again..).

Thanks a lot for any hint.

Petr