Re: Starting with udev

On Fri, Mar 12, 2010 at 16:39, Salvatore De Paolis <iwkse@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Thu, 11 Mar 2010 10:33:49 +0100
> Kay Sievers <kay.sievers@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> Udev runs at the system-level as root, it can not talk to your user
>> session where the notification would appear. You have to subscribe to
>> events from your user session, and not put system-wide rules into
>> udev, to get events in your session.

> Thank's it's clear now the logic under it. By the way I didn't find a lot of
> documentation about it. Writing udev rules [1] doesn't help from this side.
> I'll get the source and build the doc.
> Otherwise do you have other useful links?

This is maybe the closest to what you are looking for. Ignore all the
HAL bits, that all has changed, but the model is almost the same. Look
at the diagram at page 17 for the flow of events in a more complicated
example:
  http://people.freedesktop.org/~david/talks/dynamic-device-handling-OLS-2006.pdf

Less pretty diagrams, but pretty much up-to-date:
  http://people.freedesktop.org/~david/talks/Plumbers-2009-Sievers-Zeuthen-Replugging-The-Modern-Desktop.pdf

Kay