Re: Hi, how can I compile udev with cross compilation?

On Sat, Feb 20, 2010 at 8:37 AM, Paul Bender <pebender@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 2/20/2010 1:52 AM, huyle wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>> I am currently building an linux system for arm board. I am stuck with
>> udev. So can you help me with some commands to compile udev with cross
>> compilation?
>> Thanks for your time
>
> I am cross compiling udev, but not for the ARM.
>
> The only trouble that I have encountered when cross compiling version 151 is
> with the configure scripts determination of the pci.ids file location. This
> is caused by autoconf's AC_CHECK_FILES macro generating an error when cross
> compiling. However, this can be worked around by setting
>
> ac_cv_file__usr_share_pci_ids='no'
> ac_cv_file__usr_share_hwdata_pci_ids='no'
> ac_cv_file__usr_share_misc_pci_ids='no'
>
> in the build system's environment before running configure and setting the
> configure script's --with-pci-ids-path argument.
>
> I have had this work around for so long that I have not given it much
> thought. However, it is relatively easy to fix the configure script so that
> it only attempting to determine the pci.ids file location when
> --with-pci-ids-path is not set. Therefore, I have created and attached a
> patch that should do this. Of course, after applying, you would need to
> rerun autoconf or autoreconf.

I think it would be better to just make the AC_CHECK_FILES conditional
on cross compiling:

if test $cross_compiling != yes; then
    AC_CHECK_FILES...
else
    # just assume pciids location
    pciids=/usr/share/pci.ids
fi

Otherwise, people cross compiling will bomb unless they pass
--with-pci-ids-path. Likewise, you changed the 'test -n "$pciids"' to
a 'test -x'. I don't know a lot of people with an executable pci
database. Attached is a patch to do this.

--
Dan