About PCI hot-plugging & resource management

Hello,

Pardon me for asking few basic questions, but I'm trying to understand
the basics of the PCI hot-plugging:

1) From what I understand, Linux kernel does not use the PCI resource
allocation done by the BIOS or the boot loader. Rather it enumerates the
PCI buses and devices again and thus the PCI bus numbers and the
resources that are allocated may differ from what was done by the BIOS,
right?

2) Now as per my understanding when a new device is added later on [and
that device may a whole new PCI tree including PCI bridges and other
devices on it], there will be a need to allocate PCI bus numbers, and
PCI resources to the new devices.

As far as I understand, the PCI bus numbers needs to be within the range
of subordinate bus numbers of the parent PCI bridges, the same is also
true for PCI memory resources I think. Hence in a nutshell, there will
be a need for having reserved "holes" in the PCI resource space. Is my
understanding correct?

3) What approach does Linux take towards dealing with the above
situation? I'd appreciate if you could please point me to appropriate
links or code references...

Thanks,

Rajat