Re: Order of DVB devices

On Tue, Jan 26, 2010 at 16:22, Greg KH <greg@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 26, 2010 at 03:36:39PM +0100, Andreas Besse wrote:
>> i have a system with multiple DVB cards of the same type and want to
>> specify the order of the devices /dev/dvb/adapterX. The device plugged
>> into the physical PCI slot 1 on the mainboard should be assigned to
>> /dev/dvb/adapter0 and the card in PCI slot 2 should be assigned to
>> /dev/dvb/adapter1.

We usually do not change kernel names, but create meaningful named
symlinks to them. Stuff gets confused when /sys and /dev get
out-of-sync.

>> In the following post
>> http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.kernel.pci/7446/focus=7467 there
>> is mentioned that the order of the devices can be specified by using
>> udev rules.

The order can usually only specified by unconditionally loading kernel
driver modules in a defined order. This usually works fine for PCI
devices, but can obviously not work if there are USB devices involved.

>> But how this can be done? Which information in /sys can be used to
>> determine which DVB device is connected to which specific slot?
>
> Did you try the latest version of udev that has the persistant rules for
> the v4l devices in it and look at the symlinks that are created to see
> if they solve the problem for you?

Looking at it now, I think we only do video4linux, not the DVB stuff,
which has its own class. But it should be possible to implement a
similar model for /dev/dvb/by-id, /dev/dvb/by-path without much
problems. It's just, that nobody really cared so far.

Thanks,
Kay