UDEV - NAME issue and documentation issues

Contactsappear to be different depending on using the document "Writing udev rules", the udevwebsite or the kernel website.  I am guessing that this is an activecontact area since it is from the udev website.

The document “Writing udev rules” does not correspond to the actual software implemented.  Looking upstream (for me) from the openSUSE 11.2 implementation of version 146, version 150 of udev addresses part of the documentation issues.  But there are still documentation issues in 150.

There is some confusion on the rules location.  Rules appear to be in both /lib and /etc directories.  Some documents appear to indicate that the /lib area will be for generic rules which should not be user modified, while the /etc directory should be used for custom rules.  This is different from previous versions that I have seen where all rules are in the /etc directory.  If this is true, then the “Writing udev rules” document needs to be updated to explain that situation.

Another issue is raised in 150: the NAME function appears to be scheduled for discontinuation.  The rules have been cleansed of this option for the most part.  But the document has multiple examples of the NAME option.

The revision history of the document has not been updated, so trying to see when corrections have been made is not readily apparent.  I have looked at the website that the document refers to as the location of the most recent version, but that one is far out-of-date verses what is in the released documentation.

Finally, why no NAME???  I wanted to use that to give unique names to the hot plug devices and then try to get KDE/Gnome to use them as labels for differing devices plugging into the same port.  The attribute functions should be able to pick out a unique key to the differing devices so such a name could be attached.  The web has multiple references to using the attributes to uniquely identify your device (and frequently attach a NAME to it).  Is there a different way to attach a unique moniker to a device?  The attributes are frequently long and obscure so using them would not be feasible.  “Mom's camera” and “Dad's camera” is a more usable description for devices plugged into the same port.  Is it possible to make a new dummy variable and store it in a data table so it can be accessed with the library calls?  Or is it better/feasible to pull vendor, description and attribute information from the existing/new udev library calls and have KDE/Gnome use their own internal table to link up names (Would keep people from the complexity of writing rules).  Just thinking....