Fwd: Failed to Create Symlinks ...

On Mon, Nov 30, 2009 at 09:08, Matthias Schwarzott <zzam@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Samstag, 28. November 2009, Chris Dellin wrote:
> > Hey all,
> >
> > I'm having some trouble recently with my installation of udev.  I
> > expect it to create symlinks for a few devices, but no symlinks are
> > created.  For example:
> >
> > udev should create a symlink, as per the rule below:
> > $ grep agpgart /etc/udev/rules.d/50-udev.rules
> > KERNEL=="agpgart", NAME="misc/%k", SYMLINK+="%k"
> >

> > A few other notes:
> >  - The system is running a recent copy of Gentoo Linux.
> What is the version of udev you are running?
> Unstable udev and latest two stable versions do not contain that rule you
> mentioned above.
>
> Matthias

Thanks to everyone for the help.  The solution ended up being simple
(and silly), although I'm not sure how the problem could have
happened.  Perhaps if other Gentoo-ers end up with the same problem,
this thread will be useful.

It turns out I had a full set of (incorrect) udev rules in
/etc/udev/rules.d/, while the correct rules were located in
/lib/udev/rules.d/.  The rules in /etc came about somehow; perhaps
when upgrading udev a while ago, they weren't deleted.  In any case,
they were clobbering the correct rules on boot.

The solution was to just delete all files in /etc/udev/rules.d/ that
are not maintained by my package manager.  udev (apparently) will
search in /lib/udev/rules.d/ after /etc, and will find the correct
files.

Thanks,
- Chris