Re: is there a udevtab or similar?

On 1/8/10, Tim O'Callaghan <tim.ocallaghan@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> udevtab in this context is a tool similar to the 'crontab' tool, where
> a user can edit his personal udev list. Specifically I am looking for
> a tool that will allow me to add arbitrary personal udev rules that
> can be managed without root privileges.
>
> I've been poking about, but cannot find anything. Any pointers?
>
> Tim.

Udev doesn't include anything like that.  It's probably the wrong
place - there are enough security issues to worry about even without
user-defined rules.

The current trend is to run daemons which use libudev / gudev to
listen for events.  Or possibly DeviceKit-disks(7), depending on what
you're trying to do.  The NetworkManager daemon, for example, has been
converted from a HAL client to a gudev client.  I don't think there's
anything convenient for user scripts at the moment though.

Logged out users will often be denied permission to access interesting
devices.  So you might consider using personal (a.k.a "session")
daemons.  In that case you would need to enumerate devices of interest
at login, as well as listening for  events.

Alan