ID_MODEL and ID_MODEL_FROM_DATABASE

[please keep me in the cc, as I'm not subscribed]

Hello, I've been trying to understand a couple of things about
udev. Where can I find any description about the ID_MODEL variable in
udev rules and information? I can only find passing mentions of it in
the git repository, and no useful documentation on the web.

The question I'm asking is that I want to know what the intended use for
it is.

But what I'm really asking is whether there is a recommended way to get
a usable device description for the case when there is no entry in the
usb.id database, but the vendor has provided a good name in the USB
info.

In my case, it's a M-Audio FastTrack Pro USB sound card, and lsusb tells
me that the product name is "FastTrack Pro". But PulseAudio shows this
as "FastTrack_Pro", and apparently this comes from udev.

The ID_MODEL is the USB product id, but with spaces and other unexpected
characters replaced with underscore. This leads me to believe that this
is more intended as a machine-readable identifier for filenames and
suchlike, and not for human presentation. But does udev provide any such
human-readable ("pretty") names when it doesn't appear in the USB device
database?

If not, why not? What should PulseAudio do?

--
David Kågedal