Re: Udev 147 (and above) dependencies

mblanchard.ext@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Actually, I think Glibc 2.9 supports SOCK_CLOEXEC properly even
> without the associated kernel support: this one is optional and
> activated when specifying, at least, the '--enable-kernel=2.6.27' at
> Glibc compilation.

Huh?  Changing --enable-kernel *never* adds support for some new
feature.  The whole point of --enable-kernel is to specify the minimum
kernel that this glibc will ever see *at runtime*, and to enable or
disable various workarounds required for some features on older kernels.

And specifically in this case, the only thing that --enable-kernel=X
does is (maybe) turn on __ASSUME_SOCK_CLOEXEC; you can see what this
symbol does by opening up sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux/opensock.c in glibc.

(One of those workarounds is to try once with SOCK_CLOEXEC, then if that
fails, to retry without it.  udevd adding that flag in on its own is
going to disable this workaround.  But maybe the udev developers don't
care about that case...)