Re: can't seem to ignore a battery

I am not subscribed to linux-hotplug, but am following this thread on the list archive.

This is exactly the problem I am having with my Huawei E220 modem. (The modem has a usb cdrom device with the Windows drivers.) The cdrom emulation on the device is broken, so userland attempts to mount the device trigger a device reset.

The network operators don't care, because the device works under Windows, and that is all they support. So getting the firmware fixed is not an option.

The Linux kernel guys do not want to put work arounds for buggy hardware (just about every Huawei device type has broken the cdrom/scsi protocol in some obscure, but different way) into generic code. They recommend that seeing as the bug is triggered from userspace, it must be fixed in userspace.

With HAL, it was a simple one-line fix, and the device was ignored by all applications, and everything worked perfectly. Doing the same in udev is proving very tricky.

If you can please advise on how to block this in udev, or the correct place to add the fix in the userland apps/scripts, I would appreciate it.

Thanks,
Justin