Re: Linux hotplug - doesn't seem to work

On 11/2/09, Sujith Sankar <sujithsankar1@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> In the embedded application that I'm working on, I need to mount USB
> mass storage devices when they are plugged in.
>
> After going through the documentation, it seems that Linux hotplug
> could help in achieving this.  For this, CONFIG_HOTPLUG was enabled
> using make menuconfig.  When Linux comes up, I see that
>     -  "cat /proc/sys/kernel/hotplug" gives "/sbin/hotplug", but such
> a file (/sbin/hotplug) is not there.
>     -   Creating my own /sbin/hotplug which echoes "hotplug" to
> /root/log does not echo "hotplug" to /root/log when I insert or remove
> a USB mass storage device.  This shows that /sbin/hotplug is not
> getting invoked.

Stupid question here - I take it you tried running /sbin/hotplug
manually, and checking that it does the right thing?

>     -   If a USB mass storage device is plugged in, the USB subsystem
> identifies it.  After this, if busybox mdev (which, I believe, is a
> scaled down version of udev, but not a daemon) is run,
> /dev/device_file is getting created.  The device could be mounted
> using the command "mount -t vfat /dev/device_file /mnt".  (busybox
> mdev allows automating this mounting through its conf file)
>
> 1.  Is there any other configuration that is required to make USB hotplug
> work?

I don't think so.

> 2.  To achieve USB hotplug, is there a better (in terms of memory
> usage as well) way than hooking busybox mdev to USB hotplug trigger?

Hooking mdev seems a perfectly good way to do this.  There's no
obvious alternative, unless you want to run the full udev daemon
instead... and I don't think that would make it any easier.