What does last_rule really mean?

I'm trying to figure out how to write my own udev rules because
fedora is conveniently switching from hal to udev to control
things like which disks get automounted by nautilus in a gnome
session, so I see a lot of docs on the web that recommend
last_rule as a way to override the system rules.

First question:

The udev man page says this about last_rule:

   Stops further rules application. No later rules will have
   any effect.

If taken at face value, that implies that you can't use
last_rule more than once in all your udev rules becase it
will completely ignore everything after that rule.

I'm betting that isn't what it actually means :-).

So what is last_rule really "last" for? Can someone provide
a pseudocode algorithm to define it unambiguously? Or is
last_rule not really what I want anyway?

Second question:

I'm trying to match the disk with the label "BACKUP", in
hal, that was simply an attribute I could ask about, in
udev there does not appear to be a ATTR of any kind that
will get me the label.

How can I match the disk label? Can I run a program to
create a pattern? Any examples?