Does udev overwrite existing device nodes in /dev?

Hi,

I have an embedded system currently using a static /dev directory. I want to start using udev on it.  I know I can mount /dev as tmpfs, and then copy my static device nodes into it, and then run udev to create the rest of the dynamic nodes.

What is the policy of udev if there is an device node in the /dev directory that has the same name as one that udev wants to create? Is there any logging that I can use to see name conflicts? Is there a configuration option I can set to say "overwrite" or "don't overwrite"?

Thanks,
-James