Re: PATCH: Network Device Naming mechanism and policy

On Fri, 2009-10-09 at 09:51 -0500, Matt Domsch wrote:

> As has been noted here, MAC addresses are not necessarily unique to an
> interface.  As such, we are not proposing a net/by-mac/* symlink to
> /dev/netdev/*.

On the other hand, they *tend* to be unique for a wide range of systems.
This makes them pretty comparable to LABELs on disks, and we have
a /dev/disk/by-label

Remember that udev already supports symlink stacking, and priorities and
such.

I don't think there's any danger of supporting a /dev/netdev/by-mac by
default, it'll be a benefit to most and those who don't have unique MACs
will just ignore it.

Scott
--
Scott James Remnant