Re: Patch: add ACL for parallel printer and scanner

Frederic Crozat [2009-10-07 18:31 +0200]:
> > This grants access to any device connected, to the parallel port, and
> > is not limited to printers or scanners, right?
> >   KERNEL=="parport[0-9]*",  ENV{ACL_MANAGE}="1"
>
> Yes, since there is no possible autodetection on it.

Parallel printers also use those devices, though (even though cups
usually talks through the lp module to them, through /dev/lpN). So far
we didn't give users access to printer devices, mostly because
cups should be the only thing which talks to them, to (1) avoid access
conflicts, and (2) avoid tampering printers and other users' print
jobs.

> Well, we need to set ACL on parallel port for scanners (not sure it is
> really needed for printers).

I'd really like to avoid it for printers, see above.

Martin