Re: module-init-tools: [GIT v2] softdep command

On 9/25/09, Andreas Robinson <andr345@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Anyway, care for some light weekend reading?

One other thing

>    * Failures in the indirect modprobes, ie. those run by the softdep
>      command, are ignored. This seems correct for removing, but I'm
>      unsure what the proper action is when installing.

I think it's the correct behaviour for install commands as well.  I've
only really seen two install commands:

- load snd-pcm-oss after snd-pcm (softdep --post), to provide
automatic OSS compatibility.  (obsolete, but it still seems useful as
an example).

- load ehci-hcd _before_ uhci-hcd (softdep --pre), to avoid
disconnecting and reconnecting  USB 2.0 devices.

If the snd-pcm-oss module is not available, we still want to load
snd-pcm.  And the same is true for ehci-hcd if uhci-hcd is not
available.  If you _don't_ implement this behaviour, softdeps will not
be able to replace the only two install commands I know about :-).

It looks like softdeps will also improve our UI a little, which I like:

(old)
# modprobe snd-pcm
FATAL: Module snd-pcm-oss not found
# echo $?