Re: [security] Race condition in udev

Hi,

> > see, that's why I am trying to consult with you before trying to
> > "muck around with this kind of code". However, you may have noticed
> > that this message of yours was rather much void of any information
> > that could help me in doing so. Also, you are welcome to fix the
> > bug I was reporting using your understanding of the code, so I
> > don't have to "muck around with this kind of code" - I really am
> > not all that keen on doing so.
> >
> But you haven't reported a bug.
>
> You say that setting the mode of a device node before setting the
> ownership is a security issue, *but* you have not demonstrated how this
> might be exploited.
>
> Since device nodes are created with root ownership, setting the mode
> before the ownership is *not a concern* because it can only have less
> access than afterwards.

actually, I even explained _how_ this could lead to temporarily wider
permissions than configured, but let's trace through an example for
Mr. POSIX:

Assumption:

 /dev/foo is configured to be owned by user root, group users, mode 0646.
 The attacker tries to open /dev/foo for writing as a user that's not
 root, not a member of the group root, but a member of the group users.

The Trace:

  action                     | owner | group | mode    | open(O_WRONLY)?
  mknod(/dev/foo)            | root  | root  | 0644(?) | no
  chmod(/dev/foo,0646)       | root  | root  | 0646    | yes
  chown(/dev/foo,root,users) | root  | users | 0646    | no

Could we now take care of the bug?

Oh, and would you mind explaining why the rename() could fail?

Florian