how to handle ACL to access modem ?

Hi all,

we just switched Mandriva cooker permissions on device from pam_console
+ HAL ACL to udev ACL.

And now, we are starting to discover some regressions ;)

Before the switch /dev/ttyACM* was given console privilege, allowing
usage of programs like gammu (and its derivative) to access phones
through their modem interface.

With the switch, it is not possible anymore and I'm not sure which path
is better (if we can find one which is cross-distro) :
- add users to dialout group : can't be done while users is logged,
doesn't handle upgrade, hard to find for users
- setgid programs like gammu for dialout : no action for users needed
but any user (even without console privilege) will gain access to those
devices
- ACL on ttyACM* : no action for users needed, give the same kind of
access control as pam_console was giving. On the other hand, any
"console" user will be able to dialout the device.

Opinions ?
--
Frederic Crozat <fcrozat@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Mandriva