Re: How to disable persistent network device names?

Hi Frank,

Did you try removing the persistent net generator rule file? (usually 75-persistent-net-generator.rules) Don't know where that is located in SLES, might be in /etc/udev/rules.d or /lib/udev/rules.d

that would work, yes! But with the next udev update that file would be
back and if I missed that, the rule files could get created by the
next "udevadm trigger" call (from whereever). So this is a work-around, but not reliable, clean solution, I guess.

OK, in that case you could create your own rule to bypass the net-generator.

Put something like this in 69-bypass-persistent-net.rules:
SUBSYSTEM=="net", ACTION=="add", NAME="%k"

I also though that removing the 70-persistent-* rules on every boot
before boot.udev runs would help, but I've least one hosts that still
creates renamed network devices other than eth0 and eth1 (see my other
email on the list), so this doesn't help either.

The persistent net generator recreates the persistent-net if it does not exist.

Olaf