Re: RFC: mdadm and bringing up raid sets from initrd (dracut)

On Wednesday July 15, dan.j.williams@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

> mdadm-3.0 has facilities to prevent assembly of certain metadata types
> [1] or arrays with certain uuids [2].  I wonder if we also need a
> facility to prevent auto-assembly of arrays *not* listed in
> mdadm.conf?  So the mdadm.conf file installed in the initramfs would
> only identify the root array and all other randomly identified md
> devices would be ignored (rather than assembled with a foreign name).
>
> Thoughts?

This is exactly the functionality that the 'AUTO' line provides.
Arrays that are listed in mdadm.conf will always be assembled when they
are found.
Arrays that are not listed may or may not be assembled depending on
their metadata type and the setting of 'AUTO'.

So
  AUTO -all

will disable all auto-assemble of arrays that are not listed in
mdadm.conf.

NeilBrown