Some doubt regarding current state of Linux Hotpug

Hi All,

 I am trying to understand the hotplugging in Linux. I am new to
Linux kernel and its subsystems. I found this article on LJ

http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/5604

As per that, the USB device will call /sbin/hotplug with arguments

argv [0] = hotplug_path
argv [1] = "usb"
argv [2] = 0

Also the module auto detection script provided in that article uses
those arguments. I have tried that script in my system with kernel
2.6.29-ARCH

But I found that the arguments are not passing to the script through
/proc/...../hotplug

Also I am not able to understand this part :

IFS=/
 set $PRODUCT ''
 usb_idVendor=$1
 usb_idProduct=$2
 IFS="$DEFAULT_IFS"

>From where that script is getting the vendor id and product id. That
script is not working in this kernel, so I assume that some changes
happened with current Linux hotplugging. I am not able to find any
useful article or something to find the current changes. It will be
helpful, if any one help me to understand the working of script and
current changes that happened.

Thank you