Udev rule for external HD

Hello,

  I have written a udev rule to change the name of the external hard
disk to /dev/external.

SUBSYSTEM=="block", SUBSYSTEMS=="scsi", ATTRS{model}=="ST3120827AS",
NAME="external"

The code is like the above. That works also. But the problem is that.
without that rule my device creates 2 device nodes.

1. sdb for the drive
2. sdb1 for the one partition in it.

  The mount command without the rule will show that the device sdb1 is
mounted on /media. But after adding that rule only one device node is
created at /dev/external and there is no second device like I expected
( ie /dev/external1 ). Why it is like that ? Any idea ?

  Is there anything wrong in my udev rule ?