Re: [GIT] Experimental threaded udev

On Fri, May 29, 2009 at 19:53, Alan Jenkins <alan-jenkins@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>  Maybe just recycling the event processes would bring
> similar gains, with less of the risks of threads.

Yeah, I thought that too, without having tested anything, it could be,
that we just want to keep a pipe to the event process, and let the
event process send a signal back to the main daemon, that it has
handled the event, and it goes to sleep after that. The main daemon
can recycle a sleeping event process and push a new event over the
pipe to it. If no events are queued anymore, the main daemon just
closes the pipe, and the event process will exit.

With that model we might be able to reduce the number of fork()s
significantly. And we would still have the process separation, it's
robustness, and the lock-free behavior for malloc, cloexec and all
these issues.

Thanks,
Kay