Re: Best practice for loading platform modules

On Wed, Apr 29, 2009 at 4:18 PM, Greg KH <greg@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 29, 2009 at 03:53:53PM -0400, Chris Hallinan wrote:

> Heh, my condolences...
>
> You should possibly post from your company email address if you expect
> us to know this, gmail.com doesn't exactly specify much :)

Well, my inquiries are related to my research while preparing the
second edition of my book "Embedded Linux Primer", as opposed to my
duties as an FAE for MontaVista!  Thus the posting from my personal
address.

>> > The module itself, if that's still needed.
>> >

>> OK, the light bulb just came on!
>>
>> Thanks, Kay, and Greg for hanging in there with me.  I added
>> MODULE_ALIAS("platform:musb_hdrc) to musb_core.c, and all works as advertised.
>
> But that alias is already there, it was added in the 2.6.27-rc kernel,
> in commit 550a7375.
>
> So I'm confused as to why 2.6.29 would not work properly for you.

Erm, my own misunderstanding of the problem contributed to the
confusion.  I booted 2.6.29, saw that the kernel was passing
"platform:<driver>", using my test script that dumps env, (instead of
passing it to modprobe) and assumed it was still broken.  Yes, my
2.6.29 does indeed contain those changes, and I'm sure it will work
correctly.  Learn something new every day!!!

Thanks again for the help.  I think I know enough about udev for
Chapter 18: Udev!  ;)

Best,

Chris

PS: I enjoy your own writing, Greg!

--
Life is like Linux - it never stands still.