Re: Udev integration for device-mapper and its subsystems.

On Wed, Apr 29, 2009 at 14:59, Hannes Reinecke <hare@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> Where is the problem with just having the 'dm-X' as
> real device nodes and everything undev /dev/mapper
> as symlinks to that?

Right, we've been there so many times. The problem summarizes to: If
you can not have *the name* you don't do any *name* at all, and you
keep the enumerated one, and add as many additional names as needed by
links, for your users to pick up. That's how all other things work
today.

*The name* means: unique across clusters, systems, mirrors, backups,
clones, everything, and it can not change during the lifetime of the
device, and the kernel and userspace share the same name. That can
certainly not be true for dm, so it should not try to mess around here
and pretend to have *the name* which it does not have.

Thanks,
Kay