Re: libudev major number not increased

On Tue, Apr 14, 2009 at 15:09, Harald Hoyer <harald@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> The _major_ number of libudev has to be increased, because several symbols
> were removed (e.g. udev_device_new_from_devpath()) from the library in the
> changes from 128 to 129.
>
> Which means, that every application, which linked to a udev version prior to
> udev-129 has to be recompiled to work with newer libudev versions and
> unfortunately there is now no way to install compat libs anymore.

Right, we do not bump the major number as long as it is experimental.

It's not only the API which has changed in earlier versions, also the
logic behind it, so it would not really work with compat libs anyway.
The usual way to do compat libs by taking the code from old packages
will also not work, because the lib is tied to the running udev
version. Older libs are unlikely to work with a new udev running.

Kay