Re: udev problem (and fix) for /dev/mtdblock*

On Fri, Mar 20, 2009 at 19:46, David Brownell <david-b@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Wednesday 18 March 2009, Kay Sievers wrote:
>> On Wed, Mar 18, 2009 at 20:44, David Brownell <david-b@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> >  KERNEL=="ram*|loop*|fd*|mtd*|nbd*|gnbd*|dm-*|md*", GOTO="persistent_storage_end"
>> >
>> > It'd be good to see this bug fixed before lenny goes final...
>>
>> Udev, by default, investigates all block devices which are created by
>> the kernel.
>
> Except for the seven exceptions listed above...

Loop is no longer there today, ram can also be removed. The others are
remote network devices, which are difficult to handle, and can not be
identified at creation event time. Floppies do not detect any media
changes, and are excluded for that reason. Dm and md have their own
rules.

>> People use label/uuid and other metadata based stuff, so
>> we should look at them.
>
> Yes, people are stupid too. Such things are basically
> meaningless for MTDs.

Maybe, but seems they are used, because mtd currently does not offer
any other attributes to identify a device.

> They don't have labels as those
> tools understand them, and partition data is normally
> part of board-specific kernel configuration data (or
> even kernel command line data passed from bootloaders).
>
> And there's MTD-specific metadata, like the OTP bits
> provided on most modern chips and which MTD technology
> is used by that device.

If we can provide any other useful data to identify devices, it would
be nice, if someone could make that work. Can such attributes somehow
be added to sysfs?

MTD currently creates all devices as "virtual", it does not even use
the proper parent devices in the kernel, which would at least allow a
very simple identification, based on the underlying platform device
properties.

I keep an untested and unfinished patch around, I did the last time
someone tried to solve the problem of reordered mtd devices with udev
rules:
  http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/kay/patches.git;a=blob;f=mtd-parent-dev.patch;hb=HEAD

If we can offer people the information which will be available with
this rather simple change, people can probably switch over to that,
and we can replace the current one.

Thanks,
Kay