Re: Interaction of udev with the init subsystem

On Mon, Mar 2, 2009 at 22:09, Ozan Çağlayan <ozan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I'm maintaining the udev package for Pardus, a GNU/Linux distribution
> mainly developed in Turkey.
>
> After doing some investigations of the startup time on our distribution,
> I've figured that udev related invocations takes a lot of time.
>
> 1) The startup of the daemon is quick enough, no problem here,
> 2) The first trigger+settle takes ~4.5 seconds to complete.

Run "udevadm monitor" during that time, and check which of the events
is blocking the "settle" for that long.

> My second question is about the orphaned rule files left in /dev/.udev
> after triggering the event processing on a read-only root filesystem. I'm succesfully
> collecting those rules, moving them into /etc/udev/rules.d and recalling trigger
> after mounting the root filesystem read-write. If I don't retrigger,
> no dvd, cdrw, etc. symlink are created in /dev if the optical drive contains
> a media during boot. Retriggering here takes ~0.11 seconds.
>
> It would be very nice to have a detailed documentation for udev beside rule writing stuff.

I don't think there is much more you need to do, than you do already.

It very much depends on the specific distro setup, like some mount the
rootfs rw, so there are no rules to move around, and a single coldplug
run does all needed work.
Some systems support things like /usr on a different disk, which has
its very own set of problems, which will likely get harder over time
to support, because we got more and more udev consumers which rely on
/usr to be always around, and so on ...

Kay